It's episode 25 of The Matt Kollock Show!
A milestone episode, for sure. It took three years to get here. So, like, eight eps a year. Not bad! Not great, but also not bad!
I launched the show back in April of 2020. Took a break and brought it back in January of 2021. Took all of 2022 off! It was unclear whether the show would return or not. But here we are. Feels like a groove. I'm going to keep it going.
Five Years of Singer-Songwriting
Today I brought my guitar to the show for a very special edition of the podcast. I realized it's been about five years since I started taking my music career seriously again. Five years since I started writing songs with such a serious career in mind. I wanted to use this episode of the podcast to explore the evolution of my songwriting since 2018, and I think I did a pretty good job.
A lot has changed. Much has remained the same. I've grown. My songs are better. But my old songs are really good, too! I am confident. I have goals. There are challenges I want to face. Ideas and concepts to explore.
And then I get into the songwriting talk. I think I got somewhere. I think I discovered some things. And revealed them.
- A performance of “The Painter” from 2022 (I discussed this song in the podcast, but failed to provide musical illumination of it)
- Blog post – "25 Ways to Become a Better Songwriter"
- The Matt Kollock Show episode 10 – "How To Be a Better Songwriter"
- The Matt Kollock Show episode 24 – “Did I Just Blow My Big Break? (feat. Annie Sanchez)”
- Recent blog post – “9 Pics That Prove Mantequilla Is the Cutest Kitty”
- Annie's website
- Subscribe to my weekly email newsletter
- Buy my music on Bandcamp
- Stream my music on Spotify
- Subscribe to my channel on YouTube and watch my videos
- Follow me on Instagram
- Follow me on Mastodon
Thanks for listening! I'll be back with episode 26 in two weeks. Until then, shine on!